Writing

Picture from weheartit.com
Here are some writing assignment from a few weeks ago, in case you're interested.

1.
We had to write microfiction of exactly 50 words. (I added an explanatory comment at the end for those people who absolutely hate stories like that. Well, calling it a story is stretching the meaning quite a bit. It’s a non-story, really.)

She was strolling down the street, a smile threatening to creep on her face if she let her guard down. At that moment, life was quite perfect. She would have laughed and danced and sung, if she hadn’t been terrified of what people might think.
And then it hit her.



It might have been the realisation that what other people think is the single most important factor in her life. That it controls all her actions and emotions. That even when she has reached the top of the happiness scale, she’s still worried about others.
It might have been a bus.

2.
We had to write a couple of boring sentences in class about something that had happened to us in the last 24 hours.

I stepped out of the door and put my headphones on. It was cold and grey outside. I was feeling tired. I walked through the campus listening to music and trying to get used to cars driving on the wrong side of the road.

And then at home we had to rewrite it in two styles that we hate.

Unfinished Story
Hi! Quick, come here, I need to tell you something. Oh my God, you’ll never guess what happened this morning! I still can’t believe it. I was walking to class and it was cold and I was tired and, you know, still trying to get used to left-hand traffic, but
then I… um… uh, d’you know what, it’s not really that good. Uh, forget it. Nothing.

Infomercial
Do you find walking to class every morning
boring and routine?
Does the cold and grey weather suck the life out of you?
Are you feeling tired in the mornings?
Introducing:
Trying to get used to cars driving on the wrong side of the road.
Designed to add a spark of excitement to those mundane mornings.
Which way to look when you cross the street?
Left? Right?
You sure?
Whenever you least expect it, Trying to get used to cars driving on the wrong side of the road offers you a fun puzzle that gets your brain going for the day.
Over and over again!
The best part is that when you’re sure you’ve remembered it, you can go back to your home country and start all over again.
‘Mornings were the worst part of the day for me. I would have done anything to stay in bed until noon. But since discovering Trying to get used to cars driving on the wrong side of the road I can’t wait to jump out of bed and start the day.’
But that’s not all! If you call right now we’ll add a brand new mp3 player for free to listen to the music you choose. That’s a whole extra distraction to make surviving in traffic even more of an adventure.
It’s not available in stores so you’ve got to call now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...